Manchester City 4-1 Hull City: De Bruyne At The Double As Hosts Reach Last Four

Manchester City 4-1 Hull City: De Bruyne At The Double As Hosts Reach Last Four
December 01 22:23 2015 Print This Article

Kevin De Bruyne scored two late goals to help Manchester City to a 4-1 victory over Hull City in the League Cup quarter-finals.

Wilfried Bony struck early in the first half at the Etihad Stadium and the Premier League leaders rarely looked like surrendering their advantage before substitutes Kelechi Iheanacho and De Bruyne clinched the victory in the closing stages.

Championship high-fliers Hull battled well in front of a strong contingent of travelling fans but Willy Caballero was rarely troubled at the rear of a strong City side that featured De Bruyne, David Silva, Fernandinho and the excellent Nicolas Otamendi from the start.

Andrew Robertson went some way to atoning for his error for City’s third with a well-taken late consolation, but the 2014 League Cup winners ultimately booked their place in the semi-finals with little fuss.

City assumed control from the off as Hull looked to sit deep and frustrate Manuel Pellegrini’s team, but they contributed to their own undoing with just 12 minutes played.

Chuba Akpom and Sone Aluko left a loose ball for each other, allowing De Bruyne to take up possession before rifling a left-footed shot off the base of the near post. The rebound fell kindly to Bony, who side-footed home into the unguarded net.

Akpom forced Caballero into a low save before Aluko curled a shot into his arms from distance as the Championship side grew in confidence in the closing stages of the half.

As a result, City looked eager to kill off the contest sooner rather than later, De Bruyne forcing Eldin Jakupovic into a strong save with a well-struck shot from 25 yards just after the break.

Silva’s deep cross fell kindly to Jesus Navas and he rasped a left-footed shot just past the far post as Pellegrini’s side continued to push for a killer second goal.

Fabian Delph had a golden chance to secure the victory, drilling straight at Jakupovic after turning well from Silva’s pass, but it wasn’t much longer before City finished the tie with two goals in two minutes.

Substitute Raheem Sterling fizzed a dangerous cross in from the left and Iheanacho arrived to poke the ball in at the near post despite pressure from the home defence.

And Hull gifted City their third on 82 minutes when Robertson’s weak header back was pounced on by De Bruyne, who finished clinically past Jakupovic from close range.

City looked in the mood to add gloss to the scoreline and De Bruyne did just that with 87 minutes on the clock, firing a free-kick into the roof of the net from 20 yards that Jakupovic will have been disappointed to not to have saved.

Robertson clipped a fine shot over the head of Caballero after linking up with Abel Hernandez on the edge of the area but it was scant consolation for the Tigers.

write a comment


No Comments Yet!

You can be the one to start a conversation.

Add a Comment

Your data will be safe! Your e-mail address will not be published. Also other data will not be shared with third person.
All fields are required.